Sunday 22 July 2012

An underwriter asks "Why?"


About a month ago a mortgage underwriter asked why we were moving so far away from where we are now to live in such a large house. "Oh, I know this one" I said to my very patient mortgage broking friend Stuart, "It's because we can".

We got the mortgage offer eventually, despite my amusing and witty response to this and a number of other pointless and tedious questions from people who clearly aren't paid to dream. (I will grudgingly concede that my proposed "how exciting are your plans" approach to underwriting would perhaps be unsustainable for the long term, but wouldn't the world be a better place while it lasted?).

I remember my grandfather sitting in his armchair in the nursing home towards the end of his life. He was very frail by now and his voice was weak as he leant towards me and whispered "don't get old Ollie". I intend to take this advice at face value and to stay as young as I can for as long as possible. In my head I've always assumed that the part of my life when the children can fend for themselves (is that the bit people call retirement?) will be spent somewhere in the Highlands. Fishing and growing vegetables, although not at the same time.


But we're not at that point yet, in fact we're not even half way through our working lives so isn't this a bit premature? Well it turns out that all my wife Wendy needs to keep her happy and, almost as importantly, to keep her bringing home the bacon, is an internet connection and a nearby airport. Guildford has these but so do lots of other places. So you look at a map of Britain for towns near airports. You chuck out anywhere that looks a bit full already. Or that might have a lot of concrete or tories. You dismiss places that might make the kids grow up with a funny accent or where they might get laughed at for their inability to breathe through their ears. And then you start factoring in things like "it has a beach and a swimming pool". And that, friends, is how we ended up thinking that Nairn might be a good idea.

An added bonus is that having grown up an hour or so away from there it's almost an area I know well but not well enough for me to be imposing my place on the rest of the family. If that makes sense. It might not. This is our journey forwards, not my nostalgic journey back in time.

So last March we went there to stay for a few days and explore a bit more - to try Nairn on for size. Looking back, this short film of the kids playing over on the West beach is probably a recording of the moment we decided to move.



We tried it, we liked it and now we're about to live there. If you were at our leaving drinks last night then thank you for coming and I meant what I almost certainly said about coming to visit us - there's plenty of room!

6 comments:

  1. A great decision! I wish you the best of luck and hope your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, sorry to say it like that!..I wish you all the happiest of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony and I would like to wish you and your lovely family lots of happiness for the future. Keep us in touch on A4A to let us know how you are getting on and of course to remind me where your blog is Ollie.
    Thanks for looking after the gang on A4A and keeping the site clean.
    Best Wishes Shirl and Tone (shirlton)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best Ollie, Wendy and the children. I know you will enjoy yourselves up there.

    We did the same thing when our children were young and it was a wonderful experience. We went to Oban on the west coast of Scotland and stayed for almost 5 years. We had to return for family reasons when my father was ill, but it was a period in our lives that we wouldn't have missed for anything.

    John retires in a few weeks so hopefully, with more time to spare in the next year or two, we will complete our long overdue visit to Scotland, towing our caravan. We will now put Nairn on our itinerary.

    Good luck and much happiness in your new home.
    Best wishes from Pauline and John (Paulines7) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope all goes well. House looks lovely, and so do the beaches. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the veg next year.

    He might pay his taxes but James Dyson not popular in Chippenham, they felt they had worked hard and helped to build up his business and then he moved production abroad. Maybe the taxes he pays goes towards their unemployment benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anonymous - yes, I remember reading about him sending production overseas and thinking it was a real kick in the teeth to his UK workers. Also his vacuum cleaners aren't very good - too heavy and messy to empty IMHO. Another also, JK Rowling is astonishingly overrated - not by herself but by adults who fail to realise that her books are for kids and Dumbledore is not a metaphor for anything. (Although naturally I've always assumed that Slytherin is where all tories would go).

    Having said this, they're both far more successful than me in their own worlds and these were just a couple of names that came to mind from a recent article on people who could dodge their taxes but choose not to. This is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete